Kevin's Barber Shop

Kevin's Barber Shop
Come in and sit down

Search This Blog

Monday, October 25, 2010

Feelings

The manifestation of electro magnetical impulses into paralysing emotion has been the boon and bane of mankind since the beginning of time.  The process is still deeply mysterious, with modern mapping techniques charting the brains neuro transmissions like Cooke or Columbus. 

What is known, is that our feelings - our emotions - cause us to do pretty well everything in life, from cradle to grave.  A constant balance takes place as we fight our emotions, control ourselves and ignore our gut feelings.  As much as we treasure the swoon of new love, or the thrill of victory, we fear the loss of family and the cold hand of death.

Madness, the silent elephant in the room, sits quietly in the corner, allowing far too many of us to be suddenly enveloped in it's enormity, lost to the rest of the world.  We all can appreciate those in the arts who tread so close to the edge, giving us a glimpse of the fiery core, where we fear to tread.  Stray too far and even those who were recently in their midst turn away for good.

How then, do we live with the burden of emotion?  How does one turn off that artery, spilling blood all the way?  Surely the souls who work the child cancer wards and man the distress lines and the like, are made of something special.  It is one thing not to feel - another to feel and do it anyway.   All I need to think about when the hot breath of anxiety and despair touch my neck, is to think of so many who have touched my life in even the smallest way.  I think about the mad giggles of my girls, not how they're going to make it.  I appreciate the roof over my head, even though I will be 75 when I own it - and the mice think they own it now.  I'm glad that although my wife sleeps 18 km from  here - we are still friendly.  But most of all, I'm thankful that I am alive in this flash of time, and my story is yet to be fully written.

It's OK to feel.  Some of us feel more, some less - but we all feel.  Tomorrow perhaps I won't give a shit so much.  But I'm feeling it today.

No comments: